There is an extraordinarily large amount of misinformation about cholesterol and we need to set the story straight. To start with here are some interesting facts about this beautiful and vitally important molecule.
Here are some facts about cholesterol:
- Cholesterol is the precursor to our sex hormones. This is why one of the side effects of cholesterol lowering drugs such as statins is loss of libido.
- Cholesterol is the precursor to the steroid hormones that regulate blood pressure, blood sugar, and mineral balance.
- The myelin sheath that serves as insulation around the nerves in the brain and body is made of cholesterol. Another side effect of statin drugs is loss of memory.
- The body makes bile acids from cholesterol which is an important part of digestion.
- Cholesterol is in the membrane of every cell in the body including the muscle cells. That is why another common side effect of statins is muscle pain and ache.
- Now get this- People with high cholesterol live longer and have less cancer.
- Cholesterol is not the cause of heart disease!!!
That right high cholesterol does not cause heart disease and dietary cholesterol has absolutely no effect on your blood levels of cholesterol. Cholesterol becomes elevated in the blood when your body has lots of inflammation. Inflammation of an artery can lead to atherosclerosis and clots. Your body uses cholesterol to combat inflammation. So, suppressing cholesterol actually makes you more vulnerable to the ravages of inflammation. Addressing inflammation in the cardiovascular system is the real way to approach heart disease.
My hope is that now that you know how cholesterol works in your body, you will broaden your focus on your health. I hope to empower you to take control of your health.